Thursday, February 24, 2011

The End of the Beginning


I have noticed that I am most often gripped by a desire to write when I am feeling moody, and after a bit of thought, I propose that this is true for the general population.  It seems natural that you are more pensive when in a state of depression, because the depression forces you to stop activity and pay attention to thoughts.  For the same reason, I think it would make the depressed more likely to hypothesize, theorize, and speculate, perhaps about the injustice that first caused the depression, or, more commonly (at least for me), about the nature of the world, existential questions, the meaning of it all, etc., etc.  Maybe the opportunity to write generally presents itself more readily when you’re depressed.  Depression, whether causally or correlatedly, seems to happen when you’re in your room with your computer screen and keyboard sitting right there, already on and ready to go.

I have also realized that those subjects (existentialism, meaning of it all, nature of the world) can veer dangerous close to the territory of whinging, especially when the ponderer is doing so through a lens with a negative hue.  So I have decided to beat my urge to write while in those states.  Or beat those states when I have an urge to write.  Whichever is easier.  

No comments:

Post a Comment